Autumn Sunrises and Sunsets share your photos here

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
The Tea Rooms

Autumn Sunrises and Sunsets share your photos here

• Thank you, Hazy. But you can't see everything on the picture. If I had captured more in the direction of the quarry, you would see a very busy intersection of roads. But our area is indeed beautiful. Maybe I'll post a few pictures later, from our walk with the baby. So you can see a bit more from where I live.

• Nice sunset with the bridge in the background Bente, and the trees are so beautiful with their leaves changing into such rich colours.

• After last week's gloomy foggy conditions, the weather was much kinder to me this week. I honestly thought I'd missed the dawn, looking at it from my kitchen window as I scoffed down my breakfast.

Fifteen minutes later, the beautiful sunrise was in full flow as I clambered on to the Manor farm restoration. The sunrise kept on giving for the next 45 minutes during my stomp.  I concentrated on trying to get wildlife into the photos. As per my usual lazy self, all photos untouched but reduced in size to be web (and download) friendly.

Slight change of mood as the geese flew a little closer, and I had to pan higher away from the sunrise.

I kept as close as I dared to these geese. I didn't want them to take flight.

I then walked away from them, but turned to take in this overall scene.

Ahh, the power of zoom.

I've been somewhat preoccupied with a painting of late. Actually more cocking it up and trying to figure ways of correcting the mess. I'll post more photos of this morning's great sunrise as and when I get the time from various daddy duties and, of course, grappling with the painting.

• Brilliant photos Angus, it almost looks like the sky is on fire!

• Bente S

Hello,

I, too, have a few sunset-pictures to offer. Although we live in a challenging place also. Thes sunsets usually are hidden by a hill, a huge oak-tree and other buildings, but between the buildings you can see the famous brickstone-bridge in our area. The first picture was already taken on September 17th. This is the look out of our roof-window.

The next picture was taken today, from our bedroom-window. Not exactly a sunset, but the old quarry in the sunset. Doesn't it look beautiful with the colourful trees? Unfortunately, the sunset in the direction of the bridge didn't offer too much colour today.

Kind regards, Bente

Both lovely photos, and I do like the tinge provided by the sunset on the trees.

• Mike B
    I do like the tinge provided by the sunset on the trees

Yes, so do I. I'm glad I was able to capture it. With my simple camera it was not too easy. Thank you for the compliment!

• Mike B

Brilliant photos Angus, it almost looks like the sky is on fire!

Hello Mike.

Glad you like them. I honestly wasn't expecting much when I left the house or clambered into the proto-reserve. The spectacular bits of the sunrise were concentrated in a narrow band. Zooming in helped a lot, as did the birds who flew low. I just had to keep my fingers crossed they would fly across the bits of the sky that looked as if they were on fire, as did this lot

I just my normal trick of leaving the camera on Program mode and fiddling about with where I pointed the thing. I was very surprised how many of the photographs came out.

I kind of prefer it this way. Going along with low expectations and then being pleasantly surprised.  It seems like when I try hard, the photos tend to be disappointing.

I'll post a few more. I didn't expect to have much time, today.  The very heavy rain, many parts of the country is experiencing or has experienced, meant the work party on the reserve was cancelled. I reckon then small dinghy, used to ferry people to Tern island, would likely take on water rapidly and sink.

• Angus, you're welcome.

With your new Canon, you shouldn't have any real problems in P mode, the real work is in the composition, which only you can control, and I think you do a very good job.

• They are stunning photos Angus I love the colour.

• I second that, a golden sunrise, fabulous Angus.

• Mike, Alan and Gaynors, thanks again for appreciating my photos.

The sunrise lasted over an hour. Normally they are done with in about ten of fifteen minutes. I was quite astonished, but eagerly clicked away trying to capture the changing colours as I stomped about the proto-reserve. I reeled off over 200 shots - only 25 of which had anything to do with the restoration.

Here are a few more of the good'uns.  Most, I felt, didn't pass muster. That's the beauty of digital photography, just keep snapping everything, and then see what results you get afterwards.

I noticed a small group of Egyptian geese taking off - they're quite good as they kick up a hell of a racket prior to and during take off. It's like they are discussing whether they should go or not, and deciding who will take off first.

It does give me a few precious seconds to get ready, but I wasn't quite fast enough to zoom in and photograph them taking off with the yellows, reds and purples reflecting off the lake and the spray they produce while they run and flap across the water. Now that would have been a nice photograph!

As they flew across the sunrise, I thought I'd try zooming in a bit for detail. It sort of worked, but they were too far away and too low for my liking.

One trick I learnt fairly quickly, again by accident, was to turn my camera around by 90 degrees.  It gives a totally different perspective to photographs. I do not often remember to do this.

Note that the middle of the lens is pointing at the relatively dark spit of land in the centre of the photo. More on this in the proceeding photo.

This is another trick I learnt early on. I am still rooted to the spot where I took the photo above, I have not moved my feet. All I did was tilt the camera up to point at a brighter patch.  The effect is quite dramatic.

This last trick doesn't work as well if I have the camera in Auto. I think the software algorithms tend to try and get the exposure correct for the whole photograph regardless of where I point it, which tends to blow out the reds and oranges of the sky.  Leaving the camera in Program mode seems to call up a different set of algorithms with a different paradigm for setting the exposure. I simply exploit it.

The same was true for my ancient Canon 350 (Rebel) and my Panasonic Lumix FZ72 bridge camera; which is where I observed this happening.