What type of bird is this?

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
Gear Guide

What type of bird is this?

This question has suggested answer(s)
unknown bird.jpg
Spotted in a Garden in Belfast - we can't find anything with an orange "cap" like this!
All Replies
  • Unusual Karen, look like the Goldcrest, but the orange flash is bigger and the body colours are not right!

• I suspect that the bird is actually a young Great Tit which has some issues with the colouration of the feathers on its forehead. Various different issues can cause this type of thing, see here.

• I agree that this is a juvenile Great Tit.   I think he may have dipped his head into a flower and come out with pollen on it; I've often seen pictures of birds showing the same!

• Molly
    I think he may have dipped his head into a flower and come out with pollen on it; I've often seen pictures of birds showing the same!

Interesting you should say that, Molly. I saw this juvenile Starling with pollen on its brow from feeding from these flowers whose name I've now forgotten. This was in Southern Ireland.

• Hi, Thanks for the suggestions. We don't think it is pollen as a) we have seen the same bird for the last few days with the same marking, and b) this is N Ireland and pollen would have been washed off by the frequent rain showers! It seems more likely that it is just an aberration in the normal markings. It will be interesting to see if the colouration stays or grows out.

Thanks

• Just come across this Rose Coloured Starling on Twitter with pollen on its head twitter.com/.../880857217762811910