Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
The Tea Rooms

Welcome to add your pastry customers here

• You are correct Ann.

Don't give turkey fat to birds.

Jim

• does the same go for goose fat ??      

What I found surprising is further down the RSPB say ....

“But don’t let this put you off feeding garden birds – there are loads of leftovers that are suitable.”

The RSPB recommends Christmas scraps like Christmas cake crumbs, mince pie pastry crumbs and biscuit crumbs. Other suitable leftovers include mild grated cheese, cooked or uncooked rice, dry porridge oats, cooked potatoes and fruit."

That assumes there is no alcohol in the cake or mince pies  - birds will be falling off their perches  !!.....and what about the salt content in a lot of scraps.  

post edit:  should be stated that cooked potatoes should not be mash which may have salt and milk in them , both of which are bad for animals. 

• Thanks, Jim and Hazel.  Re:  Alcohol:  There are stories in the States that Waxwings (Cedar Waxwings over there) sometimes become intoxicated after eating fermented fruit, behaving much like human drunkards but without the fist fights and broken bottles, of course!

• Gardenbirder

Thanks, Jim and Hazel.  Re:  Alcohol:  There are stories in the States that Waxwings (Cedar Waxwings over there) sometimes become intoxicated after eating fermented fruit, behaving much like human drunkards but without the fist fights and broken bottles, of course!

absolutely right Ann,  the fermented fruit becomes intoxicating when the sugar content breaks down  lol     I do  put potatoes out for the corvids but it has no salt in it at all and just plain old spuds - having said that I do sometimes add a little bit of mild cheddar cheese which does have salt but keep it rationed   !      Earl would choose to eat cheese every time over dog meat - which is surprising !     he must have a savoury liking   lol 

• Funniest thing, Hazel--what a coincidence!  I prefer cheddar cheese to dog food myself--lol!

• I heed the warning BUT for using to make pastry I would have thought it's fine as the resons for not to use turkey fat are :

"But cooked turkey fat is completely unsuitable for birds for several reasons:

· It stays soft even when cooled, meaning it could smear onto birds’ feathers and ruin water proofing and insulating qualities

· The softness of turkey fat means its not practical to make popular ‘bird cake’ where its mixed with seeds, as it will not harden to hold its shape

· Many people rub turkey joints liberally with salt to crisp the skin and high levels of salt are toxic to birds

· The fat in roasting tins can’t be separated from other leftover liquids like meat juices. This concoction can go rancid quickly, and form an ideal breeding ground for salmonella and other food poisoning bacteria "

None of this applies to pastry! LOL The fat I used had come to the top of the frozen stock & scraped off easily.

• Incoming customer.

• Brilliant clarity Paul, am sure it would have soon be followed by the rest of its clan. I love the way , they watch each other,squabbling as if saying" no I was here first" CHOL:):)

• Hazel, there are similar stories about elephants getting drunk on fermenting amarula fruit. Just imagine the sight of a huge grey lump swaying and then crashing over with its legs & trunk in the air.

• The light was pretty poor today even with the f2.8 lens but we got more pastry customers and a 2 kilo fresh batch of pastry was made today and in the fridge ready for tomorrow.

We had 8 lollipops visiting today 

and CT is partial to a bit of pastry although his main food is sunflower hearts and kibbled peanuts 

and the mild cheddar cheese is popular too   lol        This is only given occasionally (except in pastry mix where there;s only a small amount of cheese) as it contains salt

CT's looking a bit moth eaten ........  must be damp or mite problem where its roosting 

• Very nice Hazel, sadly its to wet and cold here to go out with the camera even for a short while :(

Jim

• Tomorrow looks to be a better day Jim, fingers crossed :)

• Going out for a meal tomorrow with two of my sisters and a nephew then a few beers :)

Jim

• Lovely photos, Hazel, Who can resist those cute LTTs and CTs!

• Hope you have a great family get-together Jim, wrap up warm and you can sit in the beer garden lol

Thanks Ann :)