Bridge camera recommendation for complete beginner

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
The Tea Rooms

Bridge camera recommendation for complete beginner

• Whistling Joe

That's the ONLY rule of photography in truth - enjoy what you're doing!

And an option never to be overlooked:

"Don't be afraid to experiment"

But there is a rule to accompany that, make sure you note (with digital, that's done for you) what you've done, so you can replicate the scene again...

• Whistling Joe

You can go mad (holds up hand) with lenses, but the second hand market is full of good glass that would widen the gap between the 800D and the bridge.  The Canon 300mm f/4 can be had for £600 (same focal length as your Tamron, but excellent if you're always at the 300mm anyway); £700 puts you in the 400mm f/5.6 prime or 100-400 (Mk1) market; £800 takes you into the Sigma 150-600 bracket.  On the crop sensor 800D, that's 480mm, 640mm or 960mm equivalent respectively (and those are good quality examples from reputable sources).  You'll add weight to the bag though, the bridge will always win out in the easy to carry stakes :-)

Before splashing out on a 'better' telephoto lens than the Tamron 16-300mm, I need to address the following questions

1. Need

2. Cost

3. Self preservation

Need: The Tamron currently covers the range I require. Wide angle for recording changes to the proto-reserve or scenic shots. 300mm telephoto for wildlife shots. Granted anything above 250mm and the lens struggles. I have toyed with using a bridge camera for scenic shots, and a dedicated telephoto lens (e.g. Sigma/Tamron 150-600) for the wildlife shots.

Cost: I still feel uneasy about shelling out £600 or over for a lens; especially as I am so hard on camera equipment. However, funds are allocated for more urgent matters like: getting my youngest through college, replacing our tatty 28 year old kitchen and builders' double glazing, even tattier carpet, etc, etc, etc.

Self preservation: If questions 1 and 2 are not addressed before purchasing an expensive toy then I get these visions of the memsahib sawing away certain parts of my anatomy with a blunt rusty blade and a somewhat annoyed glint in her eye.

I'll wait and see how the next few months pan out. I will feel on much safer ground if I real need pops up and/or the kitchen/double glazing/ etc are fixed.

• Angus M

Whistling Joe

You can go mad (holds up hand) with lenses, but the second hand market is full of good glass that would widen the gap between the 800D and the bridge.  The Canon 300mm f/4 can be had for £600 (same focal length as your Tamron, but excellent if you're always at the 300mm anyway); £700 puts you in the 400mm f/5.6 prime or 100-400 (Mk1) market; £800 takes you into the Sigma 150-600 bracket.  On the crop sensor 800D, that's 480mm, 640mm or 960mm equivalent respectively (and those are good quality examples from reputable sources).  You'll add weight to the bag though, the bridge will always win out in the easy to carry stakes :-)

Before splashing out on a 'better' telephoto lens than the Tamron 16-300mm, I need to address the following questions

1. Need

2. Cost

3. Self preservation

Need: The Tamron currently covers the range I require. Wide angle for recording changes to the proto-reserve or scenic shots. 300mm telephoto for wildlife shots. Granted anything above 250mm and the lens struggles. I have toyed with using a bridge camera for scenic shots, and a dedicated telephoto lens (e.g. Sigma/Tamron 150-600) for the wildlife shots.

Cost: I still feel uneasy about shelling out £600 or over for a lens; especially as I am so hard on camera equipment. However, funds are allocated for more urgent matters like: getting my youngest through college, replacing our tatty 28 year old kitchen and builders' double glazing, even tattier carpet, etc, etc, etc.

Self preservation: If questions 1 and 2 are not addressed before purchasing an expensive toy then I get these visions of the memsahib sawing away certain parts of my anatomy with a blunt rusty blade and a somewhat annoyed glint in her eye.

I'll wait and see how the next few months pan out. I will feel on much safer ground if I real need pops up and/or the kitchen/double glazing/ etc are fixed.

[Shyly holding hand up....]

I'm guilty as charged with my Sigma 150-600 lens, but I'm glad I did.

It's hard to truly put a value on any product, particularly expensive ones, but my philosophy is, once the basics are taken care of sensibly, then a few luxuries are ok to have.

As for value, you can't put a price on a smile.