What is With Councils and Tree Cutting?!

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
The Tea Rooms

What is With Councils and Tree Cutting?!

• Didn't know where to put this, especially since its a moan more than anything!

I'm just totally at my whit's end with one of the councils than manages the walkway (it crosses boundaries and different part are managed by different councils).

Yesterday I came across them on one part of the walkway, at the top of the street actually, cutting down the trees and bushes (birch trees and not sure what the bushes are).  By cutting down I mean cutting down, not trimming back and this made me so angry.  It seems to be one of the first signs of spring up here that the council start massacring the greenery! 

I have more success now with the council via Twitter (would you believe!) and he's looking into it.  I have asked what about the birds and that they're starting to nest build etc - in the stretch that they've been cutting there are House Sparrows and a couple of Song Thrushes, and let's be honest they seem to need all the help they can get just lately!

I just wish they'd plant trees rather than cut them back :o(

• Hi Paul. That walkway certainly gives you some problems. I hope your neighbours appreciate all that you do on their behalf. The wildlife certainly must love you. So glad you have been able to make the council listen and hope not too much damage has been done before they act and stop destroying the trees.

• Hi Brenda,

thank you :o)

To be honest I think a lot of people, especially if they don't go on there, will just think its someone else's problem or that someone else will do something about it  I don't believe in waiting for someone else to do something, especially if i feel passionate about something :o)

In my eyes we are very lucky to have this walkway that is teaming with wildlife, it should be cherished not taken for granted.  Although a lot of the bird life did seem to move on about 5 years ago thanks to the other council cutting down most of their trees.  They claimed they were dangerous, but there was nothing wrong with them and oddly enough the ones that you would have deemed dangerous they left!

Like I say, if they started replanting maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but they don't :o(

• Hi Paul,

You do have a lt of problems with your walkway, but it seems you may be getting through to the respective councils. You had some redpolls in your garden in the winter - and they live in Birch trees, so I do hope they haven't been nesting in the ones cut down. They eat the seeds of the birch and alder, so it seems the council have removed some of their natural foodstuff. (On the upside, this may encourage them back to your garden).

Keep up the Twittering. You may win in the end.

• Thank you Linda :o)

I get so frustrated with things at times, especially when there doesn't seem to be any logic behind it.

The bird life up here, when you stop to look for it, is more than just the Blackbirds foraging on the grass and the Woodpigeons who take over whole trees (the ones that are left that is).

When I first came across Twitter a while back I thought it was purely recreational, but I've had more luck with it getting through to the likes of the council than trying to negotiate their 'Contact Us' page!

• Hi Paul E

I think this is a nation wide problem with councils. We have just been fighting and lost over the removal of a huge stretch of mature trees and dense shubbery to put an extra lane off the slip road, which no one needs or wants. But they got the money on the back of a planning application for a new Technolgy park. so I suppose in their little mind it was money for nothing - to hell with the abundant wildlife which was plenty as it is opposite farmland on one side and an established park on the other. That is possibly the reason we have seen birds  in the garden that we have never seen before. I think they should be tested for "common sense" before they are employed. Sorry I am ranting too, but Councils make me sooooo angry.

• Hi Paul

I know how your feel about Councils. They do things that are not always of the best interests of the wildlife.  I pray to goodness that they leave a couple of favourite areas alone here and do not disturb the Wildlife.

Is it me or has anyone found that the Council owned land.... Tree Pruning sessions are later this year.  I am sure it is due to the cold weather, and it was waiting for the right moment to prune the trees/bushes back

The mature Willow Trees along the River Great Ouse have been slaughtered and are now barren trunks with some new growth appearing out of the top.  Not so nice to look at.  Mind you they may be old and need replaced.  Still not the best for nesting birds.

I thought this was away over the top if this is the way to prune a Willow Tree (The council have planted new Willow Trees - rather than more bird friendly Trees like Alder)  Any the severe pruning has taken all the interest out of the place.

I know that Willow Trees love damp area to grow. Maybe that is the reason young willows have been planted in the first place.  The river does get high at times, and the Willows will cope with the deluge of excess water

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Hi JudiM,

what a sorry state of affairs there!  You can rant all you want here - its my thread, we can rant together, lol!

I just don't get it, there are times where a local council can just show total disregard for local wildlife.  Then in the next breath somewhere else they are telling everyone how much the do for local wildlife.

Wildlife needs all the help it can get at times and along come humans who wreck everything with saws and tarmac :o(

I've just had a response back and have been given a number to phone because the walkway is "a big open space" and under two councils - I pointed out I knew that as I have a map of the boundaries ;o)

Our council must be sick of me, as to be honest they only hear from me when I'm moaning!  Although when they do something right I will praise!

In between wildlife poisoning and tree cutting, I've also reported a councillor for fly tipping...but that's a different story!

• Hi Paul,

From years of experience dealing with council officials, all I can say is go straight to the top. If you get nowhere with the officials, then lobby the Councillors - particularly the ones whose ward include the walkway. Invite them to call round to see what is going on, and keep nagging. Keep your eyes peeled on the lists of council meetings and attend appropriate meetings in person. Lobbying is always more effective close to election time - and get your local MP involved. Also look out for planning permission notices - quite often this is required before certain trees can be chopped down.

• Hi Linda,

thank you for your help :o)

Working your way through the website  can be a nightmare for contacting people.  I'm not in the mood for phoning anyone today, I never get my point across well if I'm not prepared or feeling up to it.

I doubt the trees will have been protected or anything though, they're only birch I think nor permission to cut them.

All I would like is a few answers  - and why their idea of cutting back is just to leave stumps.

• Hi Paul

I live in the Breckland area and we had similar problems when the council decided to decapitate the hedge at the back of our garden two or three years ago.  When we first moved into our house about 10 years ago the hedge was really think and we had an abundance of many different birds visiting on a regular basis.  Now the hedge is threadbare and you can see the houses on the neigbouring estate.

I wrote to the council a lengthy letter telling them what I thought and all I got was a letter saying 'sorry that the actions upset you'.  Thankfully a lot of the birds still visit but there are certainly less of some species than there were back in 2000.

I hope you continual moaning at your council does some good.

I appreciate that the hedgerows need cutting back but what they done to our hedge was devastating.

Good Luck

Marcia

I

• Hi Marcia,

thank you for your comment :o)

I know all to well about those "sorry that the actions upset you" letters - half the time that's the only recognition that you get!

I totally agree too, I understand that trees have to be maintained incase their branches are damaged, rotten etc, and that bushes have to be cut.  But I just cannot understand why they have to cut them back how they do, the last time the trees were cut down  - and it has taken about 5 years to get them to grow and look decent again - the Loral bushes basically took over, they are so thick and high in places which is good for foxes and people who live backing on to the walkway, but why cut the trees down anyway?

I bet they'd say the people in the houses complained about lack of light (even though they are side-on to the walkway, or that the roots are damaging the houses.

• There's bound to be something pertaining to  Health and Safety ,-  an accident waiting. or some similar 'faeces'

• Soosin

There's bound to be something pertaining to  Health and Safety ,-  an accident waiting. or some similar 'faeces'

They said the same when they cut the other trees down, saying they were dangerous and near the school etc etc, the school grounds are full of trees...and are also where I saw a Bullfinch once.

I don't think they know why they're doing something at times...

• Section 40 of the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006 requires that: 

Every public authority must, in exercising its functions, have regard, so far as is consistent with the proper exercise of those functions, to the purpose of conserving biodiversity’

Maybe it would be worth reminding the council of this.