Off to Dorset on a weeks birdwatching holiday on Sunday

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
The Tea Rooms

Off to Dorset on a weeks birdwatching holiday on Sunday

• I’m off to Dorset on a weeks birdwatching holiday with the Newcastle Upon Tyne RSPB Group on Sunday visiting lots of good birdwatching areas including Arne, Radipole Lake, The New Forest, Titchfield Haven, Blashford Lakes, etc. We are staying at a very nice hotel. The weather forecast is not particularly very good for the Dorset area next week, with heavy rain and gales forecast all day on our first whole day on Monday in Dorset. But I’m well prepared with waterproofs and climbing boots. Really looking forward to the holiday.

• Have a wonderful time, Thomo.

• Sounds as if you'll have a wonderful time Ian & the weather is set to improve!

• Have a great time, may I suggest a visit to Brownsea island in Poole Harbour is well worth a visit, I didn't do the bird reserve but the Red Squirrels made the trip worthwhile.

• Have a great time Ian

• Have a lovely trip Ian and hope the weather improves for the rest of the week.    Sounds like you will be visiting some lovely reserves so have fun.

• Shane

Have a great time, may I suggest a visit to Brownsea island in Poole Harbour is well worth a visit, I didn't do the bird reserve but the Red Squirrels made the trip worthwhile.

On the coach drivers rest day, when we can do what we want to do, both me and a friend from Newcastle Group are getting a bus from Bournemouth on a 40 minute journey by bus to the ferry terminal to cross to visit Brownsea Island and as a National Trust member I won’t have to pay the landing charge. Luckily the area where I live in the adjoining county of Northumberland in North East England still has Red Squirrels.

• Have a great time the ferry from Poole or sandbanks also does a cruise right around Poole harbour and you can get on and off at Brownsea, you might hit lucky and see the Ospreys reported there.m

• We are getting on the ferry from Sandbanks.

• Just a touch envious.

• If you are on the harbour front in Poole look out for the new "Birds of Poole Harbour" centre opened a month or so back, they will be able to give all the local news and places where recent sightings have been seen. A very knowledgeable group, they also do boat trip tours of Poole Harbour. We did one in Feb and saw 54 species including distant Hen Harrier. Well worth calling into chat to as they know the whole area so well.

• Well I never got back about my birdwatching holiday in Dorset at the end of April into May. Sadly we never saw the Dartford Warbler at Arne or the Goshawks or Woodlarks at the New Forest. But I did see my best ever view of a Green Woodpecker at Arne only a few yards away. Perfect view with the naked eye. Didn’t even need binoculars. Also saw my first ever Cetti’s Warbler at Radipole Lake. Kept in view for over 5 minutes. Also at Lodmoor saw the closest view I’ve ever had of a Marsh Harrier, again didn’t even need binoculars. Weather very good, and at least we had 2 very hot sunny days. The difference I noticed over North East England compared to Dorset in South West England is that I heard the yaffle of the Green Woodpecker everywhere we visited in Dorset, even though we do have Green Woodpeckers in the North East of England, it seemed at least that there are far more Green Woodpeckers in Dorset, although we only got 1 very close view. We also saw a Sika Deer at Arne which again is a first for me. We also had a very good trip to Brownsea Island on the coach drivers rest day and we explored the bird reserve with lagoon on Brownsea Island. The Hides take you very close to the nesting birds on the lagoons and that was 1 of 2 very hot days and I did see the Red Squirrels on Brownsea Island although i‘ve seen Red Squirrels many times over the years in North East England. But some members of the Newcastle RSPB Group it was a first time they had seen Red Squirrels.

The good news is that the hotels are booked and reserved for May 2019 in the Outer Hebrides. The Hotels has to be booked 2 years in advance, as the hotels where reserved in 2017 for 2019. It will be a very expensive holiday in the Outer Hebrides, costing over £800.00 for a single bedroom for 6 nights. Really looking forward to that holiday next year with the Newcastle Upon Tyne RSPB Group.

Unfortunately I haven’t got a camera to take any photos of that holiday in Dorset.

• Sounds like you had a lovely time Robbo.

• Unfortunately I haven’t got a camera to take any photos of that holiday in Dorset

Sometimes it's a blessing, when you realise the picture taking is stopping you seeing what you are looking at.

We were watching black kites in Italy and spent quite a long time not getting a single decent picture (too close, too far away, too fast) yet the best moment was watching a group of 10 circling together and not even trying to take a picture.

• Great update on your holiday in Dorset (lovely part of the world) Thomo, you saw a number of species I haven't come across yet, namely the green woodpecker, Sika deer and good views of the Marsh Harrier, I think the memories in your mind can be just as good as a camera shot sometimes.