Injured woodpigeon living in garden

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
The Tea Rooms

Injured woodpigeon living in garden

• Hello I'm after some advice I rescued a Woodpigeon from my neighbours cat last week. Its wing stuck up on one side, which I was hoping was bruised rather than broken. It survived the night and managed to flap out of the box in the morning, and had a drink of water. It's beem walking around the garden, hopping up on low perches and seems to tolerate us checking on it. We put seed out for it every day too, which it eats. But it's not flying off yet and it's been 8 nights...and I noticed the seed is once again attracting the family of rats which live next door. (I took my feeders down for the summer, in the hopes of "environmentally excluding" the rats, rather than putting poison down!) not sure what to do now, has anyone had similar experience? There is a wildlife hospital about an hour away, will Harrelson (I named him after Woody ) likely survive the journey? Thanks in advance.
  • Hi Lisa, yes it will survive the journey put it in a cardboard box with a cloth in the base and it should be ok for the journey.  

• My rescued ones are fine in the car in a pet carrier to take to Vet, they are very stoical & make excellent patients!  Well done for caring Lisa & do let us know if treatable!

• Hi Lisa, sorry to hear about the poor Pigeon. Hope you are able to get it to the wildlife hospital okay. Let us know how you get on.

• Good luck with the rescue mission