FEMALE BLACKBIRD WING INJURY

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
The Tea Rooms

FEMALE BLACKBIRD WING INJURY

• Have a resident blackbird pair in my garden. Currently, they have chicks that appear to be ready to fledge. This morning I noticed the female acting unusually - she was perched on a plant pot with her back to me - the position appeared most odd. There is a pigeon pair that visit regularly which distresses her - particularly when she has chicks - but she made no attempt to attack the one that was on the ground, which is the norm. She didn't move when I called her - which she usually does - so I went closer and she moved from the pot but appeared to have an issue flying. I wondered if one of the brood had fledged and was in the undergrowth, as that Is where she went, so I put some food down nearby and she took a beak full and then she flew up into the adjacent nest. She did not come down until the male arrived back - 3 hrs - then I observed her and noticed that it's a wing injury as she found it difficult to fly back to the nest and got stuck on a protruding ivy branch. I have contacted a wildlife helpline, but have yet to hear from them. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Hi Nina I think the only thing you can do if she is injured is put food and water out for her so she doesn't have to go searching for it.

• Thanks Alan - Yes there's always fresh food/water nearby. Unfortunately, she hasn't come out of the ivy since earlier today and I cannot see her to see how she is.