from this morning

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
The Tea Rooms

from this morning

• Seems to be a good year for southern hawkers in the pond. It's so far been a particularly poor one for damselflies though. I get both azure and large red, but both have been very few in number so far. I also get common darters around now, but not yet seen any. As there are no frog or toad tadpoles, just a few smooth newts, I think most of the hawker's early diet is its relatives.

• Nice one Robbo, is that an unusual wing pattern/colour?

• Great pics of the female S.Hawker Rob;   we don't seem to have done so bad for damsels on our pond here in N.W. and have seen a large number of Large Red and Azure although not so many now !  Although we did have frogspawn a while back it suddenly disappeared so either the mallards that came in or maybe the corvids ate it all.    

• There was another a couple of mornings ago, at the same time of day, that looked even more pristine. That didn't have any markings on the wings, so not sure. I've just been outside and it's gone. I'm guessing those wing markings may just diminish during the day. I might be wrong on that though.  

• I'll have to check our pond area again as we've been away for a week;   lots of water lilies in bloom with this hot spell of weather and insects like water boatmen, pond skaters, etc,   Hope you get chance to see the Hawkers again Rob and maybe grab some more pics, always interesting to see.    

• Thanks Hazy. They like to hunt up and down the lane and drive, so I'm sure I'll see them again. More challenging to get photos though.

• Lovely photos Robbo