Wildlife can do the strangest of things! Share your photos here

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
The Tea Rooms

Wildlife can do the strangest of things! Share your photos here

• We have an ever determined woody that visits our garden, forever trying to get on the feeders, even if somewhat precariously, and more often than not, ending in failure, though I guess is does manage to get some feed, or it wouldn't keep trying.

We had to replace a feeder that wouldn't clean up, so to avoid any infection, a new one was bought and installed.

No sooner was it up, when one woody tried to get on to feed....

Here's the pics.

Oooops, down we go.....

if at first you don't get seed, try again.....

Nearly, but I need to improve this balance issue.....

• Reminds me of the garden Blackbirds learning how to use the hanging fat feeder … they soon became very accomplished. Now the Robins have learned too. I shouldn't be surprised if Woody gets the hang of it eventually and as soon as one does ...

• For large birds the Woodpigeons seem to manage to grasp a hold of the small perch feeders, they just keep flapping their wings to stay on and are rarely put off from trying !   Our's can perch easily on the front facing perches whilst they scoff the sunflower hearts .... and I haven't the heart to shoo them as they also need to eat.  

• We have a feral pigeon that attempts to impersonate a hummingbird on our feeders - not entirely successfully!

• I shot this little video a couple of weeks ago. An immature Starling putting ants beneath its wings. I'm not sure anyone knows for sure why they do this but it may be that the formic acid given off by the ants helps to reduce parasites. A few House Sparrows were curious as to what was going on.

• TeeJay

I shot this little video a couple of weeks ago. An immature Starling putting ants beneath its wings. I'm not sure anyone knows for sure why they do this but it may be that the formic acid given off by the ants helps to reduce parasites. A few House Sparrows were curious as to what was going on.

(Please visit the site to view this video)

What a brilliant capture on video and thanks for sharing.

• Well it is true what they say, you live and learn. I have never heard of this before.

• Seems quite a few birds engage in "anting"   We had a blackbird anting earlier this summer; perhaps as well as being beneficial with the formic acid fighting against parasites I wonder if its as enjoyable as a spa to the bird    lol

• I've managed to get a short clip of the woody getting onto the feeder, and scaring off a little dunnock!

Wood Pigeon stealing from the feeder!

https://youtu.be/GTtiWjxL-DM