The landscapes of Dove Stone

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
The Tea Rooms

The landscapes of Dove Stone

• I thought I'd do a bit of different thread for this one. I had been suffering circulation issues in my leg for some time, but I had the operation to resolve it recently and decided it was time to test it out properly on a hill. I wanted something testing but not too high or too long, so picked a circuit around RSPB Dove Stone, in the Peak District. I thought I'd post a couple of landscapes for those who don't know it.

A view up to a crag from the path up to Chew reservoir

Once you get up to Chew reservoir, you are on the tops of the pennines (ca 500m above sea level). I like it up there but it can look quite bleak with the odd rock formation thrown in. I find a change to B&W is often required in this scenery!

There are enough odd rocks to keep a geologist happy.

Looks like a bizarre lava formation (like rope) to my inexperienced eye ...

Next come the crags above Dove Stone reservoir, where the Peregrines are often seen. I think they were hiding from the gusting winds (felt like 40mph gusts) on this day.

You need not to suffer from vertigo on these because you can stand right on the edge! Great views though. That's a very empty Dove Stone reservoir at the bottom.

Onto the next peak, above Yeoman Hey reservoir but still looking back at Dove Stone reservoir

There is a chain of three reservoirs on this side. Dove Stone, Yeoman Hey and this is the third, Greenfield, seen from the top of the valley.

To get back down, you follow the river and pass these falls. They are quite spectacular given that they are relatively unknown (I think). You can see the path on the left of the river

You can see the path, can't you? Seriously, unless you are a mountain goat or are used to mountain paths like I am, this is not a particularly easy descent in places. There are other easier and shorter ways down.

You walk back along the shores of all three reservoirs. I went via Ashway Gap and just after that you pass this lone tree, with the crags in the background.

The first proper upland walk I've managed for years and I have to say, I found it an enjoyable one. I didn't see too many birds other than a Mipit every few hundred yards, a hunting Kestrel undisturbed by a murder of Crows surrounding it and one cackling game bird, that was heard but not seen. I'm glad to say, I finished the walk without issue, so a couple more and I should be back to full hill-walking fitness … hooray! At least now I can go again and perhaps spot some hares or grouse over winter.

• Wow, that some walk you did Nige, wish I could do it but I know I have no chance sadly.

• Cheers, Jim. I'm very happy to be able to take it back up again. Next stop, somewhere in the Forest of Bowland I think. Maybe see if I can spot a Harrier.

• Great to hear you are able to get back to some testing hill walking Nigel;   I felt out of breath looking at that route and remember the Chew Reservoir path well as we've walked it three times in the past, a long'ish slow steady climb  - were lucky enough to see a Ring Ouzel near the top of Chew (quarry area).   Good place to spot raptors like Kestrels too as you also found.     Pleased to hear you suffered no side effects and can now think about other climbs and Forest of Bowland;    wasn't that where a Pallid Harrier was seen a year or two ago  ?    Good luck and "carry on climbing"   - but remember you are a human and not a mountain goat  -   take it easy   lol

• I agree with Jim and Hazel it's good to see you are able to get back out and about up on the hills Nigel.

• Thanks both - I only walk, not climb

HAZY
    Forest of Bowland;    wasn't that where a Pallid Harrier was seen a year or two ago  ?

Yes, (maybe spring 2017?) and I couldn't go because I wasn't able to trust my leg to get to where it was. It is also one of the places where they are monitoring the Hen Harrier.

• Good to hear that your leg problems have been sorted and that you can walk in the hills once more. Beautiful scenery so no wonder you wanted to get out there again.

• Thanks Tony

TeeJay
    Beautiful scenery so no wonder you wanted to get out there again.

It's picturesque from the valleys but you can appreciate the different aspects when you see it from the tops as well.

• What fantastic views Nigel, rock formations very interesting, but that's as far as it goes, I don't mind the walking but not so good at heights these days and some of those places looked scary!!!

• Thanks Gaynor.

Scary is good - it probably means the Peregrines and Ravens will love it and you might get great views of them! That said, I've noticed I'm a little bit more nervous of heights than I was years ago, but not so much I won't stand on the edge for the view!

• Good old gritstone country.

Lovely photos, bringing back some good old memories, many t hanks for sharing.