Brown Woodpecker

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
The Tea Rooms

Brown Woodpecker

• Hello all !

(This is my forst contribution !) When my husband (who knows almost nothing about birds) said he saw a brown woodpeckery thing in the garden I dismissed it as him mistaking a thrush or jay for something more significant...

Then - about three weeks ago I though I saw a brown woodpecker in a local park....but again I reasoned that I was msiatken as it was just a fleeting glance...

BUT today I saw it again very clearly. About thrush size, pale brown but definitely with woodpecker stance, beak and undulating flight. You would think it was a green woodpecker but without the green !

What is it ? I am sure it's too large to be a wryneck, not marked like a spotted woodpecker.... just pale brown ! Does anyone have any ideas ?

Cheers ! StC

• Hi there! Welcome to the forum.

I have absolutely no idea. However there are some here who might. You might be better posting in the Identify This forum. You will find it under "Wildlife" (the blue tab at the top of the page). Select Ask a Question, then forums, then Identify This. Hope this helps!

• Hi Tombstone Crow

Where are you? what was it doing? how close did you get before if flushed? any thing else of note you can remember?

• mpiekp
    Hi Tombstone Crow

Nice one mpiekp. I thought it was Latin which translates as "The stone is a raven" according to Mr Google. LOL

Welcome anyway whichever one it is.  I'll wait for more info before offering any suggestions as to your mystery "woodpecker".

• Could be something that's been blown in from abroad.

• My guess would be maybe a juvenile green woodpecker - or one that really needs to dust itself off!

• Probably right KatTai, they look anything but green!

H

• Lol

• Lapidi i corvi

Hello all !

(This is my forst contribution !) When my husband (who knows almost nothing about birds) said he saw a brown woodpeckery thing in the garden I dismissed it as him mistaking a thrush or jay for something more significant...

Then - about three weeks ago I though I saw a brown woodpecker in a local park....but again I reasoned that I was msiatken as it was just a fleeting glance...

BUT today I saw it again very clearly. About thrush size, pale brown but definitely with woodpecker stance, beak and undulating flight. You would think it was a green woodpecker but without the green !

What is it ? I am sure it's too large to be a wryneck, not marked like a spotted woodpecker.... just pale brown ! Does anyone have any ideas ?

Cheers ! StC

Hi- your description fits Mistle Thrush perfectly.  Juvenile Green wps are spotted and show the yellow rump.

:)

S

I CAN'T NOMINATE THIS AS THE CORRECT ANSWER - :(

• KatTai
    My guess would be maybe a juvenile green woodpecker

That was my first thought too. They are a very drab olive  colour when young although they've still got a red crown which I would have thought would be noticeable.

• Hi-  I havent seen any juvvy green WPs yet this season- could be a bit early yet - adults still whizzing about feeding a lot atm.

:)

S

• Glad someone else has seen one of these. We have seen a brown woodpecker on our bird feeders several  times recently. It feeds from the fat cake, just like the greater spotted woodpeckers, not from the ground, like the green woodpecker. It definitely isn't a mistle thrush,which is also a ground feeder, and is too big for a wryneck.  There is no obvious red crown. I'd love for somebody to identify what it is.

• In my opinion, yours will be a juvenile starling, Anne.

• there are young green woodpeckers about

some were seen being fed on the roadside at Old Moor a good week since

if you check the Old Moor blog they will be on there

think I agree with Robbo

Ray

• Thanks, Robbo, I think you're right. Having checked images on the web, it does look like one of a juvenile starling. Strange as the bird always comes alone, whereas starlings usually come in flocks; and we almost never get them in our garden, which borders woodland.