Help with Slugs

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
Hello!

Help with Slugs

• Hi.Can anyone give me some advice on serious slug control? I put mealworm among other foods out for the birds but the starlings squable so much over them a huge amount end up on floor. That's not a problem as the ground feeders like Robins and blackbirds eat them. The problem is that before they have been cleared at night hundreds of big fat slugs are attracted to the food on floor. I used to kill them with salt (very cheap and effective) but that then means the birds can't eat either the food or the slugs because of the salt. Does anyone have a suggestion how to kill the slugs without detriment to the birds or my dog and two cats. Another problem with killing with salt is flies the next day if it is sunny. Brian
  • Hi Brian they used to say sink a cup or mug in the soil and put beer in it, that will attract the slugs...at least they will die happy!!

• The last thing I need is to attract them, when I said hundreds it wasn't a figure of speech it was literally. I tried one evening about 10pm after a wet day to count them but it was impossible. It was like an ouzing slug carpet there had to be 4-5 hundred of them. It is amazing where they suddenly appear from and in the morning there's not a sign except the silver lining from their slime.

• Rubber gloves and a pail would maybe be the best way forward. Try going out at night and collecting as many as you can see. Do this for two or three nights in a row and you’ll soon get them under control. Perhaps take them somewhere and release them (as opposed to killing them) an area of waste ground or similar would suffice.

• Your probably right Paul it's not a pleasant thought though. When I did use salt the numbers did decrease night on night. The biggest issue is they are haemephrodite so they will breed regardless. I can't make out where they come from because the whole area is concrete and the nearest open soil is at least 15ft in the opposite direction from which they seem to appear.

• It was one of our community members (Noisette) who had told me about picking them up for a few (or several) nights running, and it does work. There used to be lots of slugs in my garden but after the initial few nights collecting they’re now under control and I only have to pick up a few up now and then. I still leave one or two for the Hedgehogs though. :-)

• Wow Paul, glad it worked, couldn't live without your SSS, especially at the moment!

If you can't get rid of slugs at night pop them in margarine tubs with lids on for the morning & dump them next day. Otherwise, boiling water in the bucket is humane & then goes in a ditch (not near homes) as it pongs after a few days.

• Noisette
    Wow Paul, glad it worked

You say 'Wow' as if you didn't really expect it to work.!!  :-) I’m very lucky to have a field at the bottom of the garden and as I can’t bring myself to kill them the slugs end up taking a brief and unexpected flight over the fence and as far down the field as I can throw them.

Glad the triple S is still doing the job, it’s been very quiet on the midge front over here so far this year, not that I’m complaining.

• The slug trick always worked well for us, but usually my good ideas don't work when other people try them & then i get in trouble.

• Hello, I recently joined the forum so I'm quite new. I know this topic is "a bit" old but I just wanted to share this link with organic slug control ideas (not tested yet by me but certainly will be as I just lost some lovely frittilaries and white daffodils and I don't have any natural slug predators in my garden, at least not yet). www.pumpkinbeth.com/.../protecting-plants-slugs-snails Good luck!

• A pond?

Not as daft as it may sound, get some frogs in and they'll enjoy eating the slugs.

Also, encourage hedgehogs, they too like slugs to eat.

Both ideas working with nature, and not chemicals.

• Thanks for the link Ania, I've got lots of little flowers to go out in a month or so & was dreading the inevitable attacks. The slug-hunts do work well & maybe in combination with ash, which we have lots of, they may survive!