nesting time

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
Hello!

nesting time

• Hi all, Should I have birds in my box by now? I Had a tit, not sure which one nesting 3 years ago but nothing since. I`v cleaned the box out each year, about January time & found big dead wasp in there last year, so that might explain for them not going in that year.The box is high on a rain water down pipe near the gutter, facing east in full sun ( when we get some). Anyone got a clue ?

Markie.

• Hi Markie

The only thing I can suggest is you move the box to a different location, just a few feet may make all the difference.

It may be too late to move it this year but it's worth considering for next year.

• Just my opinion, but the advice to clean out nest boxes from Sept to end of Jan is wrong. Far better, if doing so, to do it in the Autumn, and not Dec or Jan. The boxes here are used by wrens as well as blue tits, great tits and house sparrows, as roosting sites. A female blue tit could well be planning on breeding in a particular box well before Jan. Having it cleaned out then would, I'd have thought, be enough to cause a rethink.

• I agree with Rob,  I always take our boxes (all 13 of them ! ) down end of September/beginning of October, giving them a good scrub down and rinsing well, left to be air dried thoroughly before hanging them up again by end October.   Our Blue Tit were already checking out nesting boxes in early January and one was roosting in the box over winter months.     Good luck Markie, hope you, if not this year, have nesting/roosting birds.     Btw, I position our boxes between North and East direction;  that way they don't get too hot - if we ever get a summer  !!  

• ok, I will try that next year.

Cheers Alan.

• Thanks Robbo, I`m learning stuff off all of you, all the time. And won`t be cleaning the box in Jan any more!

Cheers.

• Thanks Hazy, I`ll take all this info on board,..... gutted I didn't get any takers this year, I only cleaned the box in Jan because I looked inside and saw poo, & thought I was doing them a favour!

Cheers.