Deter brown rats without poison??

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
Hello!

Deter brown rats without poison??

• Hello all, any advice gratefully received! I feed the birds in my garden and love doing so. This year a Robin is raising a brood in the nest box and it's been lovely, watching it fly back and forth with seed and mealworm. We have a variety of other birds visiting, and the odd squirrel, but in March of this year, also a brown rat.This made me uneasy but I decided to live and let live. It stayed in my neighbours garden (in a pile of laurel brush which was cut and left) but tunnelled under the fence to my garden, to eat the seed under the feeder. I tried blocking the tunnel but it dug a new one. I tried moving the feeders to the apple tree but it climbed the tree. (From what I've read it's next to impossible to deter a rat, their agility is amazing.) I don't want to stop feeding the birds, especially now it's nesting season, but yesterday I saw the rat has had babies... there are now 6 little ones coming into my garden. OK it's nesting season for her too ;) but at the rate rats breed, I'm afraid of being overrun. I looked on my councils website, and they will come out free of charge - in fact it states that I'm required to inform them of rats?? - but they use bait, and I'm opposed to poison as it can go up the food chain. And causes a slow, horrible death. I upset myself last night, researching videos of poisoned baby rats!! Anyway I feel stuck. Short of removing all food and water for the birds, is there anything humane I can do to deter rats? Thanks for any advice you can give!
  • Hi Lisa

One of the ways you can deter the Rats is to stop any food spilling on the floor by putting trays under your feeders, you can also put the feeders on a pole and attach a baffle that goes on the pole to stop them trying to climb up it.

You can also get humane traps that will either trap them live for release somewhere else or ones that will kill them by electric shock.