Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here

looking for some information

i was wondering if someone could give me some info. i work just outside Glasgow and each morning i walk past what was a park which now has an industrial estate on it but there is a small space left of land with some water and for the pass week i have seen what looks like a stork! i cant get close enough to get a good picture but from googling birds it looks like a stork. Should it be there? do they migrate south for the winter? if anyone can help with any info it would be great. dont want to call bother people if the bird should be about here but its the first and only one ive ever seen. thanks louise
Comments
  • looking for some information

Hi Louise was the bird totally white or had dark feathers like that photo, if it was all white try googling little egret.

Definitely not a little egret.

Hi Birder and Terri B thanks for getting back to me. the bird is sort grey with black at the bottom of the wings and long legs. someone said it might be a grey heron? but its all alone and im worried it is lost?

If it looks anything like the picture above it is definitely a stork, which is relatively rare to the UK. A few get here but in April or May or August or September.

I have posted a pic of a Grey Heron. I tried to put it here, but it wouldn't load (surprise, surprise). if you look in my gallery, if you can, you should see it.