At Hope Farm we try to show to the general public how it is possible to farm for wildlife throughout the year, as this farm only exists with the fantastic support of our members and we are always looking to spread the good news of Hope Farm far and wide. Despite our best efforts there is sadly never enough pictures to tell our story, and with each picture being worth a thousand words there is certainly not enough space in any article to tell everybody what we do. Open Farm Sunday, a LEAF organised event, is our golden opportunity to share our successes, trials and tribulations with you all. It is the only time of year where members of the public are invited to the farm in this way, and we certainly endeavour to provide a fun filled day at the same time.
Open Farm Sunday will be held on 10th June 2018, from 10am until 4pm at Hope Farm, High Street, Knapwell, Cambridge, CB23 4NR.
People enjoying a well earnt sit down after taking part in the activities at the farm last year. Photo credit: Lucy Bjorck
The boat has been pushed out and will hopefully set sail to provide all sorts of unusual activities and demonstrations that you would rarely be able to experience in the same way outside of a farm. We will be holding:
- Tractor and trailer rides
- Sheep shearing and wool spinning
- Farm machinery on display
- Bird ringing demonstrations
- Chicks and chickens (and hopefully hatching eggs!) in situ
- Corn dolly making with opportunities to have a go yourselves
- A beetle drive with a twist!
- The Cambridgeshire mammal society
- Bug hunting in our wildlife garden
- Pond dipping with arts and crafts of all things bug-like
- A wildflower plant stall, the local Steak and Honour food stand, and Hope Farm rapeseed oil on sale
- Plus a plethora of expertise to answer your questions from anything on looking after wildlife in your garden, to wildlife on the farm, to agricultural practices and even our policy work too.
This year there really should hold be something for everyone to enjoy and we look forward to supporting this nationwide event with our contribution to all things farming and wildlife. We are thrilled to have the support of local agricultural people as well as our RSPB staff to make this one of the most exciting days of the year at Hope Farm. I will look forward to seeing you there and hope it’s a day for everybody to remember.
RSVP to the event here https://bit.ly/2LhLhgE