Places to see birds

Selsdon Wood

Selsdon Wood
David Malins

Selsdon Wood was originally part of the Selsdon Park Estate. In the early part of the 20th century a pheasantry helped to stock the woods, where there was an annual shoot. In 1929 it was bought by public subscription as a bird sanctuary and was officially opened in 1936. The site effectively became the property of the National Trust, although it was, and still is, maintained by Croydon Council as an open space and is managed by a joint committee.

Location
TQ3661
The main entrance is off Old Farleigh Road, Selsdon (TQ358615). Also accessible from the end of Courtwood Lane.

Public transport
Bus: 359 and T31 to Courtwood Lane, T33 along Old Farleigh Road to Sandpiper Road and 409 along Old Farleigh Road

Habitat
Woodland with some hay meadows. There is a small pond in the central area. Some of the woodland is now being coppiced.

Species
This is one of the main sites in Croydon for Marsh Tits, which are present along with four other tit species, although Willow Tits have long since vanished. Generally good for the regular woodland species and several pairs of Tawny Owls are resident.