Is there anyone clever enough to ID a bird by a description of its song...?

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
The Tea Rooms

Is there anyone clever enough to ID a bird by a description of its song...?

• Unfortunately, I live between the A40, M40 and M25, and we have feckin' idiot bikers who think the avenue down the side of the house is the track at Brands Hatch or summat, and I do not have proper recording equipment, nor tools to edit out background noise, so you're going to have to make do with a description (actually there are 2). The first is an extremely loud, clear, distinctive, 4 notes: da-da-deee-dah, the first 2 being the same pitch, the third the longest and lowest, and the fourth is the highest (for some reason to me it sounds a bit like 'Ger-my Cooor-byn', probably because I'm not really a big fan of JC...) The second does an excellent impression of a car alarm! That's the only way I can describe it. I know that starlings often learn to mimic car alarms, but we've not had starlings round here for I'd say nigh on 20 years. It's a long shot, but I've spent the best part of an hour - probably longer - going though the bird guide playing every song clip of every bird I've ever seen in the garden and drawn a complete blank. It sounds like it ought to be a thrush, but we have all three species here and I know what they sound like! Anyone...? Please...? If you need any more info, feel free to yell. I live in South Bucks, just off the A40, if that helps... Messy buckets, AN
  • Could be a blackbird as they have a vast array of phrases.