Middleton Lakes 29 Sept 2018

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
The Tea Rooms

Middleton Lakes 29 Sept 2018

• It was a nice morning, looking like the day was going to be sunny, dry, but a little nippy, so I donned my merino wool base layer (my winter choice when I was out in the mountains on cold snow covered days), a mid-layer and collected my camera bag and bins, for a day at RSPB Middleton Lakes.

It was generally a quiet day, but still a good excuse to get out of the house, and exercise the camera...

The bird feeders had just been topped up, so the local birds were gathering...

While walking one of the paths, a small comma landed near by.

Not something I see often in any of the streams, my guess is common carp. I could probably have done better with the circular polariser....

At one point where folk are encouraged to feed the birds, a plentiful gathering of great and blue tits.

Walking up towards Fisher Mill Pool

Where there was a plethora of coot, mallard and lapwings, there was this one grey heron across the otherside.

One the Jubilee Pool, a plucky pheasant

On your mark, get ready....

Go!

Great Egret

Small Blue Damselfly

Chaffinch

Possibly a greenfinch. Frustratingly it turned as I pressed the shutter, then flew off as  someone was approaching

There are more photos from yesterday in my RSPB Middleton Lakes album.

• A good varied selection.

• Lovely variety of birds Mike, and the Comma is gorgeous, haven't seen any this year.   The Blue Tit and Gt Tit are rather nice as is the male chaffie.   Nice to see the blue damselfly enjoying the sunshine.

• Nigel O

A good varied selection.

Thank you Nigel

• gaynorsl

Lovely variety of birds Mike, and the Comma is gorgeous, haven't seen any this year.   The Blue Tit and Gt Tit are rather nice as is the male chaffie.   Nice to see the blue damselfly enjoying the sunshine.

Thank you Gaynor.

I've not seen many butterflies this year, so it was nice to get a piccie of the small comma.

I'm hoping that as winter gets nearer, I'll get some decent photos of GT & BT's along with nuthatches and robins feeding, something akin to the following taken last year.

• great selection of photos Mike and lovely capture of the pheasant in flight too.   Looks like you had a good visit, well done with the Great Egret and I think your Greenfinch may be a female chaffinch. Looks like both Chaffinches may have the warty disease Papillomavirus on their feet.  

• Lovely to see the Nuthatch Mike and you too have a friendly Robin I see:-)

• HAZY

great selection of photos Mike and lovely capture of the pheasant in flight too.   Looks like you had a good visit, well done with the Great Egret and I think your Greenfinch may be a female chaffinch. Looks like both Chaffinches may have the warty disease Papillomavirus on their feet.  

Thank you.

I think you could be right about the greenfinch being a female chaffinch, and interesting observation of the feet and the Papillomavirus.

I had a look back at some previous photos of chaffs at Middleton, and guess what, they had the same Papillomavirus on the feet, so a wild guess, they could be the same birds, at the same location, just a few months further on.

• gaynorsl

Lovely to see the Nuthatch Mike and you too have a friendly Robin I see:-)

Thank you Gaynor, they were photos from November 2017, and the Nuthatch was quite a cheeky little thing, standing on the pot of bird feed and alternately looking at me and the pot, as if to say, "Come on then, open it up....", especially as there was a mix of suet pellets and meal worms....
    Who says birds have no character!
  • Lovely set Mike it looks a great reserve.

• Alan

Lovely set Mike it looks a great reserve.

Thank you Alan.

It's typical (in a complementary sense that is) of many RSPB reserves that were former quarries, which is open to the public and I presume the RSPB jointly manage it with another body, possibly the local council.

Whatever, it makes for an enjoyable walk and the opportunity to see many forms of wildlife.

Though it doesn't have a café or giftshop, there is a small caravan as a focal point and the nearby Middleton Hall has a café which is in very easy walking distance for that post walk cuppa and cake....