Oyster Catchers

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
Hello!

Oyster Catchers

• Hi. I have never posted here before but I just have to share with someone about the wonderful family of oyster catchers that have adopted our street as their home this year. The street is in a small village and not anywhere near the coast so I am not sure what they are feeding on. However, the mum and dad have raised one chick and they race each other up and down the street constantly chasing away the seagulls, jackdaws and crows that dare to approach. I am a bit concerned about the neighbourhood cats but so far the birds seem to be doing fine. The only down side to this is their, now familiar, high pitched shrieks which have kept me awake during the wee small hours of last night and several nights over the last few months.
  • Hi Snowy welcome to the community from Sheffield

It must be lovely to see them in the village and to know they are nesting in the area.

They are not just a coastal bird and can be seen inland.

We had this query about them in 2014 ww2.rspb.org.uk/.../112001.aspx

• Great to hear. I live inland on the Northumberland / Durham border and we have lots nesting in fields round here. We even had one clever pair that nested in a sheep fold so that there was virtually no access for landborne predators to see where they were. I also saw a pair that nested and raised 2 youngsters on the roof of the main stand at Kelso racecourse.