Hello from Peak Rambler

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
Hello!

Hello from Peak Rambler

• Hello all,

A quick intro, my name is Mike, land locked near Birmingham and very fearful for the future of the countryside for our children!

I used to be an avid mountaineer, even partook on many training courses navigation, survival, and winter skills, using ice axe and crampons. I'm also a keen hill and moorland, and most of my walks took place predominantly in the Peak District, Snowdonia, Yorkshire and some Cairngorms. Not only was I a keen mountaineer, hill and moorland walker, I'm also a keen amateur photographer of landscape and nature, and many reserves have given me some fabulous moments to photograph and enjoy.

However, since a very bad accident early 2015, which totally smashed my lower right leg, requiring major surgical reconstruction, I now have limited mobility, though I'm no longer dependant on a wheelchair, but still require walking aids.

But, I’m not to be beaten into submission, I still have my family, friends, my work (who have been, and still are, very supportive), two legs, my camera and my life.

I am active on Twitter and also maintain an online photo album using Flickr

Twitter:                   @PeakRambler

Flickr                      Peak Rambler      https://www.flickr.com/photos/peak-rambler/albums

• Hiya Mike welcome to the community from Sheffield.

Sorry to hear about your accident but it's good news you can still get out and about and a lot of the reserves are now catering for people with limited mobility.

One of my favourite places is the Peak District especially at this time of the year with the Red Deer rut.

Very jealous of your Nuthatch photos it's a bird I don't get on my patch.

Have a read here about how to post photos on here, we all love to see each others photos www.rspb.org.uk/.../191572.aspx

• Hi Mike and welcome from me down south in the Thames Valley.

The accident must have been devastating for someone so active as you. However, it's good that you can still get out and about, as I can see from your Flickr photos, with the support of your family. I love your Chough photos.

• Hello Mike and a warm welcome from me too in Cheshire;   I can't begin to imagine how difficult things must have been for you following such a dreadful accident but that good old British bulldog spirit of yours is inspiring and hearing about your passion for the great outdoors, nature, photography, etc,    I think with the help of work colleagues, family and friends you have and will continue to overcome adversity.   Good luck to you and look forward to hearing more about your bird/wildlife encounters and seeing more of your lovely photos.    

I too love your Chough photos and the picturesque landscapes;   I still haven't managed to get to South Stack yet but hopefully one day as it's not too far from Cheshire  ! 

• Hello from Anglesey Mike, after going through the trauma of such an accident maybe the will to return to see the mountains again will be the crutch that will get you out again.   Fabulous photos, love the landscapes, some really remote places you visited, wonderful.  Thanks for posting and hope you continue to improve leading to more photos for us to see.

• Hi Mike, and a warm welcome from me up here in Scotland.

• Hi Mike.  A welcome from me too in nottinghamshire.  Sorry to hear about your accident, but pleased it isn't stopping you from finally getting out and taking your photos.  I have had a look at your Flickr pages and you have taken some beautiful landscape photos.  I'm hoping to get out into the Peak District some time this week for a nice autumn walk!

• Hi Mike. Welcome from Mitcham in Surrey.

• Hello Mile, welcome from me up in the very far north of Scotland, in Caithness. Sorry to hear about your accident. It is good to hear that you have lots of family, friends and colleagues who have been and are there for you. Hope you continue to get out and about and take lots of photos. Nice ones on you Flickr page.

• Thank you all for the warm welcome and apologies for the delay in my replies.

I've retained the original responses in normal type and added my replies in bold.

Reply by Alan

Hiya Mike welcome to the community from Sheffield.

Sorry to hear about your accident but it's good news you can still get out and about and a lot of the reserves are now catering for people with limited mobility.

One of my favourite places is the Peak District especially at this time of the year with the Red Deer rut.

Very jealous of your Nuthatch photos it's a bird I don't get on my patch.

Have a read here about how to post photos on here, we all love to see each others photos www.rspb.org.uk/.../191572.aspx

Alan, I will be uploading photos to the RSPB Community, for all to see, and I’ll probably include some older ones, as well.

Reply by TeeJay

Hi Mike and welcome from me down south in the Thames Valley.

The accident must have been devastating for someone so active as you. However, it's good that you can still get out and about, as I can see from your Flickr photos, with the support of your family. I love your Chough photos.

TeeJay, I was well chuffed (deliberate pun) to see the choughs at South Stack. I’ve seen many photos, but it was only August 2017, when I actually saw my first chough.

That particular chough, this years young, was the first time they had successfully bred at South Stack.

I have seen since seen all three, that is the parents and theis years youngster, well, practically adult now.

Reply by HAZY

Hello Mike and a warm welcome from me too in Cheshire;   I can't begin to imagine how difficult things must have been for you following such a dreadful accident but that good old British bulldog spirit of yours is inspiring and hearing about your passion for the great outdoors, nature, photography, etc,    I think with the help of work colleagues, family and friends you have and will continue to overcome adversity.   Good luck to you and look forward to hearing more about your bird/wildlife encounters and seeing more of your lovely photos.

Thank you Hazy, it is still very hard, but we have to move on, and if it wasn’t for the support that I’m receiving, it would be a lot harder.

There will be more photos to follow, I’m not one to sit at home all day, I love being outdoors, whatever the weather.

I was going to say, a pity my cameras aren’t weatherproof, but I do have a Pentax WG-3, which is waterproof and supposedly shockproof.

I’ve tried the waterproof bit, left it in a bath of water for an hour, it still works, but I haven’t tried the shockproof bit…

Reply by gaynorsl

Hello from Anglesey Mike, after going through the trauma of such an accident maybe the will to return to see the mountains again will be the crutch that will get you out again.   Fabulous photos, love the landscapes, some really remote places you visited, wonderful.  Thanks for posting and hope you continue to improve leading to more photos for us to see.

There will be more photos, and definitely from South Stack, which I always have loved visiting for many years, decades even.

I have family near to Conwy, which we regularly visit, so I’ll definitely be up that way again.

Hopefully it won’t be too long before I can walk down to Elins Tower again.

Reply by Paul A

Hi Mike, and a warm welcome from me up here in Scotland.

Paul, not sure what party of Scotland you’re from, but I’m hoping to return there very soon.

We have a family friend who lives in Kingussie, and ten minutes from the front door, there is the Monadhliath Mountains, which I’ll probably never walk again, but I have had the pleasure of some exploration of them.

Reply by ChristineB

Hi Mike.  A welcome from me too in nottinghamshire.  Sorry to hear about your accident, but pleased it isn't stopping you from finally getting out and taking your photos.  I have had a look at your Flickr pages and you have taken some beautiful landscape photos.  I'm hoping to get out into the Peak District some time this week for a nice autumn walk!

ChristineB, thank you for the follow, and what lovely photos you have. Something I try to aspire to, but often limited because I only have a 75-300 lens for my camera.

Reply by monkeycheese

Hi Mike. Welcome from Mitcham in Surrey.

Thank you monkeycheese. That’s quite a novel handle.

Reply by Catlady

Hello Mile, welcome from me up in the very far north of Scotland, in Caithness. Sorry to hear about your accident. It is good to hear that you have lots of family, friends and colleagues who have been and are there for you. Hope you continue to get out and about and take lots of photos. Nice ones on you Flickr page.

Thank you for the comment of my photos.

Caithness, that is quite a way up north!

Back in 2014, my wife and I travelled up from Kingussie to John O’Groats, what lovely drive it was along that coast road.

The only thing that spoiled the drive, was the wind farm just to the east of JOG after you leave the A9 and head east.

• Mike B

I was going to say, a pity my cameras aren’t weatherproof, but I do have a Pentax WG-3, which is waterproof and supposedly shockproof.

I’ve tried the waterproof bit, left it in a bath of water for an hour, it still works, but I haven’t tried the shockproof bit…

With this recent storm Brian I could do with a waterproof camera right now  !!!      Really looking forward to your future posts Mike and hearing what you have been seeing and photographing around your area.