Feeding Birds In My Garden

Chat

Chat
Say hello to your fellow members or ask questions about this community here
Hello!

Feeding Birds In My Garden

• Last week my neighbours showed me 3 baby blackbirds they had removed from a nest because they had died. They said it was due to the food I was putting out. I had been putting out dried mealworms, buggy nibbles and fruity nibbles (all recommended for all year round feeding by RSPCA. ). The nibbles are ground seed with ground insects or fruit in suet pellets. Cumbria Wildlife Trust say carry on feeding the birds as unlikely to be what I was putting out and the birds need feeding this time of year too. Any thoughts/advice. I am in a dilemma. Currently just putting out the mealworms after I've soaked them in water but not at home every day so they aren't getting fed regularly. Help.
  • Hi Pete

I would say it's more likely down to the weather rather than the food you've been putting out, I think the wet weather we've been having will have affected a lot of birds.

I don't know how your neighbours know it was your food that had killed them, one thing I do know though they broke the law by disturbing an active nest.

• I shouldn't worry about it, Pete. I agree with Alan that it's far more like that they died as a result of the weather. We've had a very cold and wet Spring this year with it changing so rapidly.

The good thing is that Blackbirds will often have second or even third broods so don't despair.

• Thanks Alan and Teejay,I appreciate your valued information, Kindest Regards Pete